Trio Beef Sliders by Chef Benson Munyaka, H&S Chef Of The Month
H&S Chef Of The Month
Interview With H&S Magazine
Who Is Benson Munyaka?
I am a hands-on chef with a burning passion for culinary arts and a strong commitment to creating exceptional dining experiences.
Type Of Cuisine?
I possess a strong skill set and a passion for continental cuisine. With years of experience in creating delicious dishes inspired by European flavours, I have developed a deep understanding of the techniques, ingredients, and cultural nuances that make this cuisine so special. From classic French to Italian, I am confident in my ability to craft authentic and mouthwatering dishes that showcase my expertise in continental cuisine.
What Inspired You To Become A Chef?
As a child, watching my mom prepare family meals made me fall in love with cooking and the art of culinary itself.
What Is The Biggest Challenge You Have Faced In The Culinary Industry?
Some of the biggest challenges I have experienced & continue to experience in my culinary journey:
1. Ingredient Sourcing: Sourcing quality ingredients can be challenging.
2. Time Management: Juggling tasks in a busy kitchen demands precision.
3. Consistency: Maintaining taste and presentation is a challenge.
4. Skill Development: Continuous learning is essential.
5. Dietary Restrictions: Adapting to preferences can be demanding.
6. Kitchen Organization: Efficiency is crucial.
7. Cost Control: Balancing quality and expenses is tricky.
8. Staffing Issues: Finding and retaining skilled staff can be tough.
9. Menu Innovation: Staying creative is essential.
10. Health and Safety: Ensuring safety is a top priority.
What’s Your Biggest Achievement In The Culinary Industry?
As the senior Sous Chef of a trendy bistro, I orchestrated a menu overhaul that yielded remarkable results in terms of customer satisfaction and financial gain. This accomplishment served as tangible evidence of my ability to strike an optimal balance between innovation and profitability.
When It comes To Cooking, What Is More Important To You, The Technique, The Ingredients Or The Creativity?
I personally believe that ingredients are crucial because they serve as the foundation from which both technique and creativity can flourish in the creation of a soulful dish.
Recipe Of The Week: Trio Beef Sliders
• 1 pound ground beef (80% lean, 20% fat)
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• ½ tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp onion powder
• Slider buns (mini hamburger buns)
• Sliced cheese (your choice, such as cheddar or American)
• Pickles (optional)
• Ketchup and mustard (optional)
Preparation: The Beef Sliders
Preheat your grill or stovetop skillet to medium-high heat. In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder & mix gently until the seasoning is evenly distributed. Next, divide the seasoned beef mixture into small portions, shaping them into slider-sized patties (make them slightly larger than the size of your slider buns as they will shrink slightly during cooking). Now, place the beef patties on the hot grill or skillet & cook for about 2–3 minutes per side for medium-rare to medium doneness, or adjust the cooking time to your preference. During the last minute of cooking, add a slice of cheese on top of each patty and cover briefly to melt the cheese. While the patties are cooking, lightly toast the slider buns on the grill or in a toaster. Assemble the sliders by first spreading some ketchup and mustard on the bottom half of each slider bun, then add some sliced pickles and place a beef patty with melted cheese on it, & finally, top with the other half of the slider bun.
On a plate, serve your beef sliders hot, and enjoy!