TNR Trust – Poison Awareness Month
TNR Trust: Poison Prevention Because Accidents Happen – Article Submitted by TNR
March is Pet Poison Prevention Awareness month. It is therefore important as a fur parent, foster or volunteer, to know about pet poisons.
Dogs and cats are curious by nature and may accidentally ingest harmful substances, so it’s vital to be aware of the potential hazards in your home and take steps to prevent accidental poisoning.
1. Be Wary Of Houseplants. For many houseplants, ingestion will cause your pet gastrointestinal upset and vomiting, but some plants have more dangerous effects.
Certain lilies like day lilies and tiger lilies are highly toxic to cats — even ingesting pollen from these lilies can cause kidney failure. Make sure that the flowers you bring home are safe for your cat.
2. Be Careful In The Kitchen. You probably already know that chocolate is bad for dogs, but another common example is xylitol, a sugar substitute found in chewing gums, candies, and some kinds of peanut butter. It causes a dangerous drop in blood sugar when ingested in small amounts, and in larger amounts it can cause liver failure.
Other human foods that are toxic to pets include:
• Coffee beans
• Grapes and raisins
• Macadamia nuts
3. Keep Medications In A Safe Place. Keep all medications, cleaning products, and chemicals out of reach of your pets. This includes prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and supplements. Always store them in a locked cabinet or on a high shelf away from your pet. Pets often come into contact with toxic medications by nosing through purses or bags, so make sure that you and your houseguests keep their purses in a safe place.
4. Keep An Eye On Your Pet Outdoors. Be aware of the potential hazards, fence off any pools or ponds, secure trash cans, and keep your pets away from any chemicals or fertilizers you may use in your lawn or garden. Always supervise your pets outside, especially if they tend to explore or wander.
Your garage may also be full of pet poisons — make sure that antifreeze and fertilizer is out of reach of your pet. Baits used to get rid of household pests are also toxic, such as:
• Rat, mouse, and mole bait
• Slug and snail bait
• Ant bait
5. Prepare For Emergencies. If your pet’s behaviour has changed and you notice symptoms like vomiting and diarrhoea (particularly if blood is present), or changes in appetite or behaviour, seek veterinary care immediately. Make a plan in case of an emergency so if your pet does ingest something poisonous, you have steps you can follow.
Taking these precautions can help protect your pets from accidental poisoning and ensure they live happy and healthy lives!
FB TNR Trust Nairobi