This Movember Learn About Prostate Cancer!
It’s Movember, Happy Movember to all the men out there. This month we will talk about the common health issues among men:
Prostate cancer is one of the commonest cancers amongst mostly African-American men. Prostate is a walnut sized gland in males that produces the seminal fluid.
It is said that out of 9 people every 1 man gets diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime. However, this cancer occurs mostly amongst the aged men, very rarely before the age of 40, with average age at diagnosis being 66.
This cancer may or may not present with symptoms, however some of the common symptoms include:
- Dysuria- (Burning or pain) discomfort during urination.
- Difficulty urinating, or trouble starting and stopping while urinating.
- Frequency- More frequent urination
- Loss of bladder control.
- Decreased flow or velocity of urine stream.
- There may be difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection.
Advanced prostate cancer, following symptoms may be present:
- Bone pain- often in the spine, femur, pelvis, or ribs
- Bone fractures
If the cancer spreads to the spine compressing the spinal cord, there may be:
When detected early this cancer is treatable, therefore we urge all men to go for screening, to help detect the cancer.