Latest News
05 Dec, 2021
22 ° C
household pet poisons

Household Pet Poisons – H&S Pets Galore

Common Household Pet Poisons

Pets can’t help being curious but as a pet owner it is your duty to protect your curious companion from the many household poisons. In case you thought your house was a complete safe haven for your pet, you are mistaken as there are many household items that can be toxic to your pet. It’s therefore important to know what these toxins are and what to do in case your pet ingests one.

The Most Common Household Poisons:

OTC & Prescription Medications
household pet poisons

A lot of people think that medicines such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen among others that are safe for humans are naturally safe for pets. This is a very common mistake most humans make not realizing that they can cause significant organ damage and even death. Any medication be it prescribed by your doctor or sold over-the-counter should not be given to your pet unless the vet has prescribed a certain medication. It’s also a good practice to keep them in lock and key so your furry friends can’t reach them easily.

Chocolates & Chewing Gum
household pet poisons

Another common cause of toxicity in pets is chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine which is highly toxic to both cats and dogs. Dogs are more likely to sneak this sweet treat, but did you know it can lead to vomiting, diarrheoa, seizures, hyperactivity, hyperthermia, cardiac arrhythmias and can also be lethal? Well now you do, so make sure you keep chocolate far away from your furry friends. Sugar-free gum contains xylitol which can be fatal if consumed by your pet.

Bath Soaps & Detergents

Pets, especially dogs have an affinity for soaps much more than you realize. Most soaps are harmless as such but your dog may feel awful with diarrheoa, vomiting after munching on a bar and could also have an allergic reaction to the ingredients. The only danger is getting dehydrated from the diarrheoa and vomiting. Detergents such as fabric softener sheets contain harmful ingredients such as camphor, benzyl acetate which can cause serious damage if your cat or dog comes in contact with. It can cause anything from irritation to fluid build up in the lungs, as well as kidney failure.

Insecticides & Rodenticides

Insecticides  such as simple bug spray can be highly toxic to your pet hence it is important to store them out of pet’s reach. Always check the labels before use and prevent pets from exposure. Rodenticides that are designed to kill rats may also attract your pet but do note they have toxic ingredients too. Some of the toxic ingredients can prevent blood from clotting, lead to internal bleeding, cause brain swelling, kidney failure etc. Therefore never use the bait which could be easily accessible by your pet.

Keeping Your Pet Safe & Your Home Pet Poison-Proof:

As you now know that pets can eat the strangest of things, not knowing the dangers. It is therefore important that the pet owner takes all precautions in ensuring the pet is safe and their home is poison-proof by storing products safely and/or eliminating toxins from the house. Think of your pet as a toddler, as both pets and toddlers can get to anything. If you think your pet has consumed something harmful, then call a vet immediately and let your vet know what has happened. If you have a sample of the harmful substance swallowed you can even take it with you to the vet who will be able to identify the toxic substance and treat accordingly. The sooner you get to a vet the better as vomiting should be induced within the hour of consumption. Remember waiting can be very dangerous and potentially fatal!


Want To Adopt? Fill Out The Form Below If You Are Interested In Having A Furry Friend:

Adopt A Fur Baby!

Adopting A Fur Baby means adding a new family member to your family, and they require tender loving care...
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

%d bloggers like this: