10 Fun Christmas Facts For The Kids! – H&S Education & Parenting
‘Tis The Season To Share Some Fun Christmas Facts With Your Kids!
1. The word Christmas comes from the phrase ‘Cristes Maesse’, meaning Christ’s Mass.
2. Though Christmas is celebrated to commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ, in reality, the birthday of Jesus remains unknown.
3. A real Christmas tree, when freshly cut, can last up to 6 weeks if properly cared for, while it can take on an average 7 years to produce a 5ft tall Christmas tree.
4. The legend of Santa Claus can be traced back to the 4th century AD, to a man named Nicholas, who became one of the most popular saints known in Christianity.
5. The popular song we know as Jingle Bells, was originally titled ‘One Horse Open Sleigh’ and was written in the 18th century by an American songwriter/composer James Lord Pierpont & on 16th December 1965, became the first song to be ever played in space.
6. The Christmas tree tradition began in Germany.
7. The real Santa Claus, St. Nicholas, on whom the legend is based never lived in the North Pole, he was from Myra.
8. The song ‘Silent Night’ is the most recorded Christmas carol, with more than 700 copyrighted recordings since 1978.
9. Although Christmas is celebrated around the world on the exact date, countries in the Southern Hemisphere e.g. South Africa, Australia celebrate Christmas during summer in the sun, whilst those in the Northern Hemisphere await snow, celebrating during winter.
10. The Statue of Liberty is the world’s largest Christmas gift given to the US in the Christmas of 1886, by the people of France, commemorating their alliance during the American Revolution.